Email notification...

Google Groups
Subscribe to mama's blog readers
Email:
Visit this group

Friday, January 27, 2012

And the journey has begun

I'm dragging you all along on my journey as I take the first steps on the road to weight loss through bariatric surgery. I'll be sharing whatever comes to mind to share. We all know how Mama Sage's mind works, so look out!
 
Wednesday evening was my informational meeting for the surgery. I'd been to one with Rusty before he began his journey and knew pretty much what to expect. The crowd was small this time so it was a bit more intimate than the one I'd previously attended. Rusty and Papa Sage went with me.
 
I was very impressed with how thorough the entire process was covered. We saw a slide presentation that was mixed with actual video of the operations. We learned about the two band types, the roux-en-y and the sleeve type. At the end of the presentation and the question period, a young woman who had the sleeve a year ago came to talk.
 
I've decided that when the doctor asks me what my choice would be, I will tell him the roux-en-y. After weighing all the info, it's what I would prefer. Of course I will listen to his advice and will probably go along with what he recommends.
 
I know for sure I don't want the band. I didn't know a lot about it until this meeting but already had a knowing it wasn't going to be my choice. They showed two types, both pretty much the same. The band goes around the stomach and is then inflated to make the opening smaller. It is adjustable. And THAT little fact made it a no go for sure for me. Ever think about just how it is adjusted? There is a tube from the band that has a port on the end. The port remains inside your body somewhere between your ribs and your pelvis. Nope. No thanks. This flabo fatso body would hide it now, but it would still out and show possibly as I lost weight. Plus having something foreign in my body just isn't for me.
 
The sleeve would be an option but I don't like it. About two thirds of your stomach is removed. Removed. Totally. And the pouch created is much larger. I think it would be way too easy to fall into old habits if you have that big of a pouch.
 
The roux-en-y is a much smaller pouch, the size of your thumb. Your stomach remains in your belly and it is reattached via part of the small intestine. I don't understand all the whys and wherefores enough to explain them to someone else yet. It's going to take some time and more education.
 
I'll be seeing a dietician regularly and will need to get on some sort of good exercise regime. That will still be hard with my knees but should get easier as I begin to lose weight. They will also do regular checks of my vitamin levels. With the roux-en-y, I will have to adjust my vitamin intake.
 
They have a wonderful system.  The group support meetings are monthly and I plan on going.
 
I was very impressed with the real people, area people who they showed us. One man in particular was very impressive. Not only had he lost tons and tons of weight, he went from a list of meds as long as mine down to only taking his vitamins. And he was no longer on a c-pap.
 
So my journey has started. In two weeks I'll be seeing the doctor for the initial evaluation. Rusty and Papa are going with me to that too. It's so good to have this much support. And the support that y'all are giving me in comments here, facebook and via email, etc. will also get me from start to finish. I appreciate every one of you.
 
~~~~~
 
Today my Brooks AFB family lost a beautiful family member. Dixie Bonomo passed away today. Dixie was very important to so very many people. She was another "other mother" to so many kids who lived there through the years. I was lucky enough to have worked along side her at the youth center on base. She taught so many so much. She will be missed. RIP Miss Dix
 
~~~~~
 
Perhaps they are not the stars,
but rather openings in Heaven
where the love of our lost ones pours through
and shines down upon us to let us know
they are happy.
~~Author Unknown
 
~~~~~
 
Tonight's "supper" wasn't really supper. We had breakfast tacos. Sometimes having breakfast for dinner is perfect.
 
~~~~~
 
We made a second trip down to the R Store today. (Grocery outlet in Hartville) This trip we filled a few extra bags. I was glad to find fat free sugar free puddings to use for special desserts and recipes and sugar free lemon and sugar free lime jellos. Also got some things for when others are here. Pillsbury grands biscuits and crescents and less fat cinnamon rolls. Great deals! The cinnamon rolls were .69 and the grands were .50 and the crescents were .35. 1/2 off. Also some food pantry items like lasagna hamburger helper (I hate using it, but it's quick when things go completely whacky around here) were on the 50% off shelf. Got two boxes at .45 each. .50 for hot sauce. Can't remember how much the tortillas were, but they were the healthier kind.
 
Our trip the other day we didn't get a whole lot but found some great deals. Neufchatel, 33% less fat cream cheese, was .75. Can't remember if we got any other super deals.
 
We did find steaks marked down at Sam's. You have to hit it just right to find the discounts. I always scout out the meat to see. I make it a habit to check the mark down area in the back too before doing the rest of my shopping. And I do the same at BJ's. They have theirs at the back ends of the aisles. Sometimes you can pick up some really good bargains.
 
~~~~~
 
Well this will have to be my blog tonight. I need to get some rest. Tomorrow is a big day. It's a weekend of birthdays. Hugs to everyone. Until next time....
 
~~Mama Sage

1 comment:

  1. Best wishes on your weight loss journey. I understand that a lot of prescriptions are no longer needed after losing the excess weight.

    I'm sorry about the loss of your friend. It sounds like heaven just got another angel.

    ReplyDelete