Email notification...

Google Groups
Subscribe to mama's blog readers
Email:
Visit this group

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Behind. Why am I always behind in my blogs?

Life. I think that sums it up in one word. L I F E
 
And these days it's been quite interesting. Let me start with my feelings today and then step in to the past a minute or twenty to catch up with the last couple weeks. It's been tough.
 
I've had quite a wake up call. Fat as I am, I've always stayed on the decent side of healthy until the last few weeks. Now, I am diabetic, I have heart problems and Lord only knows what else. But they're hunting. I've been in the hospital via the ER. I've had echocardiagram, I've had a heart halter on for 48 hours, I've had part one of a lexiscan stress test and will have the second part on Wednesday. I'm seeing a rheumatologist. That appointment was to rule out Sjogren's. The doctor is leaning towards me actually having it and they are going to do a biopsy of a gland in my lower lip next in the diagnosis regime. My knee is so bad now I can't walk on it sometimes. The gel injections have been approved but won't start until the 4th. I've decided to see if I can get approved for weight loss surgery. Our insurance says yes so it's a matter of seeing the doctor and getting all the medical approvals now. Then hopefully I can begin the process. I'm told it won't fix things but hopefully it will slow the progression of what's going on now.
 
I have heart rhythm problems. The bottom of my heart has started to harden. The top part of my heart is enlarged. And if I heard right, that has something to do with my lungs. I'll know more about that after the next test. It's very, very scary. Low to no salt...no caffeine at all...low fat...and of course watch that sugar.
Why? Because remember that they decided I'm not pre-diabetic, I'm diabetic.
 
So that has really filled my days. appointment appointment appointment appointment
 
And we're selling our campers. One, the annex, has sold. Done and gone. We have been packing up all the things inside and out at both campers and bringing them home. My basement is now playing the part of basement instead of rec room. I want it back from being a wreck to being a rec by the holidays. Not going to happen. It can't. Health will slow me down.
 
We did finish up today and ours is now on Craigslist. 1998 Sunnybrook .. blah blah I can't remember. Too much there to remember it all. I'm sure hoping it sells. We need it sold and behind us so we can move forward. Many, many thanks to the kids for helping us get it ready to be on the market. Without their help I don't know what we'd have done.
 
~~~~~
 
Cliff had his surgery Friday last week to remove the screws in his heel. The one was stripped and had worked it way on through the foot. They tried to get them from the heel but ended up cutting through the top of his foot to remove it. He's quite sore, but is a trooper.
He went back to work on Monday.
 
~~~~~
 
Now let me jiggle a little and see what day comes up next.  Mind you NOthing is in order!  lol
 
Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!
 
Taking it back a bit to the week I was in the hospital. That would be the weekend of the 7th, 8th and 9th.
It was really good to be home. I did have moments of nerves, but I was able to be distracted with things enough to calm me quite a bit. Saturday was the hardest day to stay calm because they had me so worked up. It was questionable whether or not they were going to release me. The second part of the test hadn't been done. They planned it for Monday. Trouble was there was really no justification to keep me the extra day. The insurance companies are extra picky now and it would have been unpaid leaving the whole bill to us! That had my nerves on edge.
 
On Sunday, we went to the birthday party for Mark and Morgan at Corry and Angel's. I really enjoyed being there with the crowd even though it was hard to stay calm. It wasn't the crowd or the kids that made me nervous and upset, it was the fact I couldn't get my mind off the fact they told me I had heart problems. That really, really had me shook. They did a BBQ and I couldn't have much of the food but I did have some of the cauliflower dish. Love the stuff. Steamed cauliflower with bread crumbs and sour cream on top.
 
We left the party and headed on to the airport to pick up my sister. Got there, went in and found out her plane was delayed at least an hour. Houston had been socked with a blinding rainstorm and they didn't get off the ground for quite a while.
 
We stopped at an ice cream place and got sugar free fat free ice cream. Soothed my soul a bit that I could still even have a treat of some kind.
 
I had no idea what I could eat, but after we got Judy we went to Melt Bar and Grilled. I was sure I could find something on the menu that would be okay but even if I couldn't I had decided not to eat and would eat a salad at home when we got there. Judy thought it was a great idea when we told her some of the story of the place. I was happy I'd found something entertaining for her. She's such a great hostess when you go to her place I wanted to reciprocate.
 
We walked in and the wait was 1 1/2 hours! No no no. We couldn't do that. It was late, everyone was hungry and we still had to get Kennedy back home. We got back in the car a bit disappointed and headed down the road.
 
Then...we found entertainment. Two people wearing purple shirts and...racoon tails a-swingin! Yes. I am serious. I don't have a clue why they were dressed that way but it gave us all a good laugh.
 
We ended up getting on the GPS and seeing what else was nearby.  When I read the list of restaurants, the Winking Lizard caught Judy's ear.  So the Lizard it was.  We definitely weren't sorry.  The building was awesome.  A century place I'm sure.  Beautiful inside.  Even if it did have a real live lizard inside.  Yes.  For real.  The group of kids there for some kind of party got a big kick out of it.
 
I got the Greek salad...which wasn't.  But it was good.  The only Greek thing in it was the cheese.  I ate half and took the other half home and drank water.
 
When we were done eating, we got back in the van and headed to take Kennedy home.  She didn't get to visit much but at least she did get to see Judy.
 
Then on back to Corry's to introduce Judy to little CJ.  After a little visit, we headed on home, talked a while and then headed to bed totally whooped!
 
~~~~~
 
Monday the 10th--
 
Monday was filled with more phone calls.  And at this point I wasn't sure I could ever catch up on all the appointments and tests being required.  And with the insurance run around, I had to grab tight to the little string and hold on for the ride.  [It ended up taking next to forever but I finally got it all authorized and set up.]
 
Judy and I at leftovers for lunch and played cards on the front deck.  We didn't like the rules that came from the game so, being the soosters that we are, we made up our own rules and had a great deal of fun!  lol  It's how we roll. 
 
Mid-afternoon, we headed out to Lake Varsity Diner for a meal with some of the kids.  Kris, Darlene, Dusty, Shirley, Missy, Melanie, Rusty, Cait and Emmi met Cliff, Judy and I there.  Food was fabulous as usual.  Judy wasn't disappointed.  We had everything from a Rueben to bacon cheddar burger to portabelisimo to a gyro and beyond. 
 
On the way home, we stopped to get cake and ice cream to take to the house.  We were celebrating Judy's birthday.  Corry, Angel and CJ joined us at the house.  Leon came too after he got off work. 
 
We had a fire in the pit, but no one ended up sitting out there.  Instead we talked and talked and laughed and laughed in the house. 
 
~~~~~
 
11th
 
We decided to start the day picking up Emmi instead of having Rusty bring her to us.  Judy was anxious to see what all home improvements Rusty had done so this was the perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone.  Judy's trip was a little short and we tried cramming in all we could.
 
After we got Emmi, Missy called.  She wanted to go to Hartville for lunch.  Judy said YES almost before I finished my sentence!  lol  Hartville Kitchen has always been on the top of the "do" list when she comes up.  Awesome food. 
 
I got the chicken breast smothered in onions.  Oh man it's good.  I don't know what they marinate in, but it gives their chicken an awesome flavor.
 
Rusty and Cait invited us over for dinner.  Good good good.  Steaks, Greek salad and pouch potatoes on the grill.  And the best smoked gouda for an appetizer.
 
12th
 
When I got up, I was craving protein so I ate a leftover piece of chicken.  Lunchtime was my leftovers of chicken with the onions, green beans and squash casserole.  Good stuff.  I'll post the recipe next time I make it.  Can't find it right now.
 
We got Judy to the airport just in time.  Didn't matter though.  Her plane was delayed getting out.  I'm glad I wasn't there waiting for all that time going in both directions.
 
14th
 
I saw the rheumatologist and was very impressed with him.  He was very thorough and very caring. 
 
I made a big salad and enjoyed it.  It's good having lots of fresh stuff to work with. 
 
broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, romaine, spinach, asiago, green onion, tomato, cranberries, almonds, sweet bell peppers, banana pepper, celery, apple salsa instead of dressing.
 
For supper, we had meatloaf, cauliflower, mango applesauce.  Good food day. 
 
I finished the last of the main style of Cleveland Browns scarves.  I've got some fluffier, softer ones to do too and who knows what else I'll get done by the 13th of next month.  I hate to plan because it's almost like setting myself up for failure.
 
Sunday the 16th
 
So this was an interesting day to say the least. We started out going out to camp to finish up and close up the annex. We wanted to get pictures taken and get it on Craigslist. Once that was accomplished, the deck we had there was moved to Kris and Darlene's camper, right next to the annex.
 
The plan was to have chicken and sausages for our meal once the deck was moved. It smelled so good cooking! And then it happened. I'd gone over to see how they were coming. Corry headed over to check the food. Then we heard it.
 
THE GRILL IS ON FIRE!!!
 
We didn't react right away. We all were thinking, yes, there might be a few spurts of flame. It's chicken. The fat burns off and the flames shoot up. Someone looked up and saw smoke. We knew it was burning pretty good so we all moved a little faster. FLAMES!!
 
Yes. It was on fire. And something on the grill was melting onto the tank. Brian got the tank off and away, Kris grabbed the pressure washer we'd been using and put the fire out. The raccoons got a good feast tonight. We were pretty sure the meat was unsafe. We could smell paint and plastic and thought the meat had probably been completely ruined with the fumes. Soooo
 
I headed out to Ianazone's for chicken and jo jo's while they all finished moving the deck. The meal was good. Their chicken rocks! Beans, mac salad and chips and spinach dip rounded the meal. The spinach dip was okay for me and so were the chips. Low, low sodium and sugar.
 
My knee has been bad all weekend and the little hills at camp didn't help. By the time we left, I was a wreck. We headed to Mom Sage's to deliver her meds. I couldn't even get out of the car.
 
Then home we went. Got to our street and found two police cars and a crime scene van at the neighbors. I guess some guy went on a rampage of break ins today and their house was one of his targets. The side door was kicked in and the second floor trashed. What in the world is happening these days???
 
I spent the evening working on my own scarf for the Browns game we're going to in November. I'm really liking it. A very soft, fluffy, yet warm mix of brown and orange, Once it's done and the others have their fringe I'll have to take some pictures.
 
Yes I am making scarves again.  If you are interested in a particular color, feel free to let me know. Special orders challenge me.
 
Monday, 24th
 
Alrighty then.  That didn't work.  I tried hard to stretch the pain meds I got in August.  Never thought it would get this bad!!  Thankfully, I'll be getting the gel injections beginning Friday the 4th.  Anyhow...  Tried to go pick up a new prescription and the doctor's office was closed.  Waste of gas.  sigh
 
We then went with Missy to Spaghetti Warehouse for the coupon special.  BOGO lasagna or spaghetti.  I got veggie lasagna with half marinara and half alfredo sauce.  GREAT idea!  The waitress suggested it and I just loved it.  I went easy with the alfredo scraping off a lot of it.  But the flavor!  mmmmmWHA it was good!
 
Wednesday, 26th
 
I had the second part of the lexiscan on Wednesday.  Really wasn't bad at all.  The anticipation was much, much worse than the actual testing.  I'll see the doctor for the interpretation on the 2nd.
 
Thursday, 27th
 
We did BJ's with Missy and Cait and Rusty then went to eat at Red Robin.  I ate about half of a BBQ chicken wrap. 
 
I know I can't eat NO salt, but I'm trying to cut way, way down.  NO soft drinks at all.  NO cooking with any salt.  Choosing the best I can when we're out and only eating part of what I get.  It just makes me sick that I've done so bad with this body.  If you're young, TAKE CARE OF YOURS NOW!

2 comments:

  1. Whew! I don't know how you do all that all the time. And with health issues too? I sure hope you can resolve the health problems and get healthy. I need to do the same. I'm sitting here right now knowing that I need to get out of this chair because my left leg is numb and aching from sitting too long. Recent MRI revealed bulging disk with nerve impingement. Also, my dr thinks I have the same condition in my neck which causes numbness in my arms now. This growing old is for the birds! I sure hope you can get a handle on your health, as I should too. Be well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why am I hungry now? Even with all the healthy food you described I'm still hungry. It all sounds good.

    ReplyDelete