Email notification...

Google Groups
Subscribe to mama's blog readers
Email:
Visit this group

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Bloggin' a-long...singin' a song...

Great each day with a sunshiny smile and a song in your heart. I try. Really I do. There are days I'm putting on a big fake, but I try. You know if you fake a good mood long enough, you eventually fall into believing it's true and you ARE in a good mood!
 
~~~~~
A smile is like tight underwear -
 it makes your cheeks go up.
~~Author Unknown
~~~~~
 
Tuesday ...

Emmi was so tired on Tuesday. Cliff said, "What are you doing?" as she emptied a box full of blankets. "Making a mess." was her very honest reply. And she cried and cried until I got down on the floor with her. I spend most of every day on the floor with her. It's fun to be down on her level playing. Tiring, but fun.
 
~~~~~
 
Meals Tuesday were fairly simple. I had Raisin bran for breakfast. For lunch I made a sandwich and supper was leftovers. Easy peasy.
 
Then the general cleanup and dishes. Not a real eventful day.
 
~~~~~

Anticipation. Not nerves. Just anticipation. I tried to just plain not think about it, but all day long my mind get floating to the fact that my first appointment with my weightloss surgeon is tomorrow. I'm excited about it. I'm not even considering bugging out. Nope. No way. I have a mission to accomplish if I'm going to see my grandchildren grow up. I want to dance at all their weddings. I want to hug their firstborn. I want to live to be an old, old woman.
 
~~~~~
 
Wednesday...
 
Even though I wasn't upset about the appointment, I spent the whole night last night up and down. I tried to stay cool, calm and collected so after I took my morning meds, I checked my email. Then it was time to shower and get ready to go.
 
The appointment went very well. We talked about diet. I'm to eat high protein. They aren't interested in me keeping a calorie count right now. Just keep up the protein. 60 grams a day. I'm still trying to be careful on the other things too. Salt, fat and sugar are still things I need to watch. I'm to try and stick to three meals a day with no snacks.
 
The model for meals is to be a 9" plate. 1/2 should be veggies and fruits. 1/4 should be 3 oz. of lean protein. 1/4 should be good carbs, starchy veggies and beans and legumes. That's going to take me a while. I'm working on it. And I am still losing weight. I have lost a total of 31 pounds since May 15th.
 
I am working on changing to more and more fresh items. I'm to trade my raisin bran for oatmeal often. But combining what I'm learning here and what Dr. Oz says, I think I'm going to be working on starting more mornings with protein.
 
My next appointment will be with the psychologist. All patients are screened to be sure they are ready for this massive life change. I think I am. I hope the good doctor agrees.
 
The appointment after that will be with the dietician for what I think is a group meeting. Then finally, the appointment after that I should meet Dr, Chlysta. I'm sure I'll like him. He was the surgeon for at least two of my friends. They both have done well and each chose a different surgical route.
 
Speaking of that, the only surgery that my insurance will allow is the Roux en y. Thankfully that's the one I was wanting anyhow. That's what our son Rusty had. The band isn't something I'd even consider and the sleeve just wouldn't be for me.
 
~~~~~
 
Since tomorrow will start the real diet, we decided on Applebee's for dinner. It's not really that bad a place. Except...we do an appetizer. We do the spinach dip. I generally do most of the salsa and a good lot of the dip. But that's my "blow the diet" part. I usually do double veggies. Today I opted to do the potato anyhow. I wanted one. I don't very often. And I got the steak. I was feeling kind of lousy because the appointments were throwing me off my regular eating schedule. Finally eating a good meal for the day did make me feel better.
 
~~~~~
 
The evening was spent with a little bit of bill paying. And then I just had a sort of physical melt down. Got the chills and didn't feel good.
 
~~~~~
 
Thursday...
 
I'm supposed to work in some kind of physical activity and exercise. I think spending time with the kids definitely is just that! Plus I'm adding more stretching, wall push ups and stretchy bands. Just wish I knew the right way to use them. I've got a bunch downstairs and a bunch upstairs for whenever the mood strikes. Yes, eventually I will be on a scheduled regime of sorts. Just not now. One change at a time will make each change more successful for me.
 
~~~~~
 
I've started journaling food in the book the program provided. I need to document how many grams of protein I'm getting, how much liquid I'm taking in, what times I'm eating and what. It might be hard for some, but paperwork isn't a problem. lol I like paper!
 
I'm also tracking things on MyFitnessPal.com. I can access it both on my phone and on my computer. I like it because most of what I eat is easily found there and they will give me the correct number of protein grams. Plus it will keep me aware of how many calories I am eating (my benefit...they don't care) and how I'm doing on sodium, sugar and fat and carbs. Again for me. Another thing I've realized with tracking here and in the journal is that I honestly don't eat much.
 
I've been doing great with my sugar. My 30 day average is 105. Really good.
 
My meals for the day were pretty simple. Breakfast was oatmeal with blueberries and milk, lunch was very lean pork chop, sauerkraut and potatoes, and supper was leftover goulash. I had no snacks and just had juice at night with my meds.
 
~~~~~

My main blog will be here, but I'm going to attempt to also blog on MyFitnessPal as I begin the journey to bariatric weight loss surgery.


~~~~~

Friday...
 
Oh what deals we got at Acme today!! Awesome awesome AWESOME!
 
Canned goods were on sale. We came home with cases and cases. We picked up on some other things too, but our main focus was canned goods. Mama Sage likes to have a full pantry and it was weedling down. Time for a fill 'er up shopping trip.
 
After we loaded up everything into the van, we headed to eat. Papa mentioned Panera and I was all for it! I love that place! I got a Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich and had water to drink. It was fabulous. And the
bonus was it actually had quite a few grams of protein.
 
We headed on home to unload and then were on our way up to pick up Kennedy.
 
Supper was home made pizza once we were settle in at home. Multi grain vegan crust, spinach leaves, carlelized onions and Mexican cheese shreds went on mine. The great thing about pizza at home is everyone can do their own thing.
 
~~~~~
 
When all was said and done for the day, my protein intake was a bit low. They gave me the hint to just grab a spoon full of peanut butter for a protein fixit. I'm still eating the not as good stuff until it's gone, but once I open a new jar it will be the natural kind. Peanut butter is better for you if it separates and you have to mix the oil back into it.
 
~~~~~
 
Saturday...
 
First thing first. We had to go get the van. But holy moly that snow was crazy!! We could hardly see in front of ourselves the whole way there and back. And this wasn't our only stop this outing. We had to pick up a birthday girt and head to BJ's too. Oh boy. It's a good thing I learned to drive in the snow!!
It was a long, slow drive home in blinding snow. Once we unloaded and wrapped the gift, we headed back out to Corry and Angel's for Madison's birthday party.
 
It was such a nice party. I really enjoyed meeting some more of Angel's family. Very, very nice. And the cutest kids! The food was great too. Mmm good! And I still stayed within my limits.
 
We had Emmi overnight on Saturday. She's not quite into this all night thing. She loves being here, but she just has a very time settling into sleep. Papa got her asleep finally and then moved her into her little bed in Kennedy's room. Poor baby. She started out being so excited to have a sleep over with Kennedy.
 
~~~~~
 
Sunday...
 
We started the day with sausage and eggs for breakfast. I think it really does make me feel a little better to start with the big protein boost. I think I'll start trying to really keep track of how different breakfast meals make me feel.
 
Meals weren't going to be anything normal today and I new it. I didn't feel a bit bad having a snack. Kennedy brought me one of the fudge pops we'd gotten at BJ's. Good good good. Iala is the brand. They have probiotics so they aren't all bad.
 
My lunch was Five Guys. Burger and fries. It was fine. I still stayed way under on calories and it boosted my protein.
 
In the evening I had my other "meal". I ate a little bit of brisket, some strawberries, and skim milk with ovaltine.
 
I'm finding myself not eating nearly the calories I thought I was. So far all I've tracked have been way under the 1930 allowance MyFitnessPal allows me. Generally doing fine with the protein count but found that I don't mind that pleasant way for a making up the count...a good blop of peanut butter.
 
~~~~~
 
Missy and Melanie came over! Oh how I've missed those girls!! They'd gone on vacation one week and then we didn't see them the next. I was going through withdrawal!! I love my family.
 
It was actually pretty busy at our house. After Cait picked up Emmi, she ended up coming back. Missy had brought back Emmi's trains from Christmas. Emmi had stuck them into one of their bags and since then, everyone kept forgetting to get them back. lol
 
Kris came by too for a little bit. He and Papa both got some tools and it was pick up day.
 
Then on to BJ's with Missy and Melanie. I got to do a little more of the shopping I'd intended to do the day before. I just couldn't even think about staying there shopping yesterday while the snow was piling up. It was BAD out Saturday!
 
After we did BJ's, we took Kennedy on home and then stopped by Mom Sage's to drop off her meds.
Once home, it was dishes, coupons and other minor tasks. Exercising was mainly wall push up and stretching.
 
~~~~~
 
Monday...
 
Today we played and played and played. I'm telling you what, on days we play hard, that is plenty of exercise!!
 
Breakfast was oatmeal with blueberries. I got most of it I guess but Emmi did get her share of bites. We also shared rigatoni for lunch. I had the last of the goulash for dinner.
 
We got a heckuva a deal on some stuff to go with Emmi's wood train set she got for Christmas. About 70 pieces of things for $15. Not bad at all. We met the lady at a very public place. Anything we do on craigslist from here to forever will be in very public places.
 
After Papa went up to bed and Emmi was picked up, I cleaned up kitchen, went through the fridge, packed lunch for Papa and picked up the livingroom. I cleared email and looked for some files I need to send to a friend and did my daily do's on the computer.
 
And yes I did make my Valentine a Valentine. Did you?
 
~~~~~
 
So it's a wrap. My week has now been presented and tied up with a pretty bow. How was yours?
 
~~Mama Sage

4 comments:

  1. Have you tried making protein smoothies? Love them and it really helps boost your protein intake and they are good for you....here's a favorite of mine...1 c skim milk, 2 scoops of chocolate whey protein, 1 tbsp instant pudding mix (can use sugar free if you use sugar free), 1 tbsp natural peanut butter, ice.
    Another favorite of mine is to use yogurt, two kinds of fruit and maybe a little milk with a scoop of vanilla whey protein....I could live on smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done smoothies yet. Might this week. Just lost more of another tooth and with the lip stitches....

      Delete
  2. You just can't believe how nice it is to be able to catch up with you!!!!!!! After the move to Facebook, I kind of let my blogging slide, and I'm finally trying to get caught back up to everybody!!!
    It sounds like you're doing really good. I totally understood that part at the beginning about faking being happy somedays. I've come to realize that it's a decision, not some random thing you wait and wish for.
    HUGZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!

    P.S. I'm writing again, too, if you have time to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to start reading too soon. Right now I'm just glad I'm making myself write again. It hasn't been easy. And now...these legs...and oooooooo!!!!

      Delete